Health & Wellness: Margaret J. Kay

Health & Wellness: Margaret J. Kay

— From the pages of FLL#37 • Photo by Bianca Cordova

Parents who suspect their child is struggling to learn can request the school district to evaluate their child. The school district will then conduct an evaluation and present its results to the parents within sixty days.

But what happens if a parent disagrees with the results of the school’s evaluation? Or if the parent believes that the school district did not consider all relevant information concerning their child in reaching their determination? In these situations, parents have the right to request an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) at the school district’s expense. An IEE is an evaluation conducted by a qualified examiner who is not employed by the school district responsible for the education of the child.

If the district refuses a parent’s request for the IEE, the district must schedule a due process hearing in front of an impartial hearing officer to determine if its decision was correct. If the district agrees to the IEE, parents do not need to select a psychologist from the school district’s list of “approved psychologists.” Parents are generally free to choose any psychologist they wish, so long as the person they select is a certified school psychologist.

At Independent Educational Evaluators of America, LLC (IEEusa), our psychologists have been doing IEE’s for more than 35 years. In fact, over 165 public school districts in PA, DE, VA, WV, NY, NJ, CA, MD, and DC have contracted with Margaret J. Kay, Ed.D, NCSP and her associates to perform IEE’s for their students.

Margaret J. Kay, Ed.D., NCSP
Licensed Psychologist & Certified School Psychologist
2818 Lititz Pike • Lancaster, PA 17601
(717) 569-6223 •